News

Topic: The Sphere Studio v1.2.1 (Read 200503 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Radnen's Sphere Studio v1.1.2.0
Reply #45

I will attempt to hack out Ctrl+W; Ctrl+F4 is actually a standard, but seeing as there are multiple standards it's wise for me to try and support both. Also, middle-mouse-wheel clicking removes tabs as well.

Thanks!

@DaVince: You need to have engine.exe and config.exe in the folder you specify. I can't replicate your behavior, because it should just work! I'll wait and see if more people have that issue, because I just can't see it happen unless you don't have engine.exe and config.exe directly in the folder.

config.exe and engine.exe are in there. It's a bog standard Sphere 1.5 installation (but it does this for all the other versions I have too).

Also... You were able to write in config.exe, but not open it? I wonder if there are certain privilege rights blocking your access? You are on Windows, did you try turning off the stupid UAC rules?

Uh... Not sure what you're talking about. config.exe works fine, it's your editor where the option to open config.exe is grayed out in the menu now (probably after your last modification related to this).

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #46
DaVince, I think I see it now. You wanted to open the config and engine without a project loaded, right? I have turned these on, the old sphere editor didn't allow you to run either one without a project open. Anyways, I still don't know how you are getting the 'sphere folder' dialog to not fill in the editor and config! I don't know where to begin... But I'll look into it.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #47

DaVince, I think I see it now. You wanted to open the config and engine without a project loaded, right? I have turned these on, the old sphere editor didn't allow you to run either one without a project open. Anyways, I still don't know how you are getting the 'sphere folder' dialog to not fill in the editor and config! I don't know where to begin... But I'll look into it.

Just to let you know, the game paths list does fill up, so since that seems to work maybe you can use that for the engine directory selector. (Though I find Windows' folder selection dialog rather inconvenient: no path pasting and it keeps scrolling so my current selected directory is always at the bottom of the view pane!)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #48
That's the old-style folder selection dialog.  Most new apps I've seen use a dialog similar to the file selection box (so you can paste a path), so it's probably just a matter of calling the correct API.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #49

That's the old-style folder selection dialog.  Most new apps I've seen use a dialog similar to the file selection box (so you can paste a path), so it's probably just a matter of calling the correct API.

I can't target an API out of .NET 2.0, this is so I could make it mono compatible when the time comes to move it over and make it cross-platform. Maybe I could use a file dialog box instead?
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #50
I'll check out the .NET docs later tonight when I have access to my own laptop and let you know.

Edit: Bummer.  Looks like the new folder selection dialog requires custom code to use, it's not natively supported in .NET.  According to the article below, internal methods to do it exist, but it requires reflection to make use of:
http://www.lyquidity.com/devblog/?p=136

Probably way too much work just for a simple .NET Sphere editor.  To answer your question, I believe you can use the file selection dialog for this purpose, but you'd have to parse the filename out of the resulting path and the user wouldn't be able to select a folder that didn't have at least one file in it...
  • Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:48:32 pm by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #51
I could get lucky and see if Mono project has a slightly better UI for folder browsing. You are right tho, the default Folder browser is ugly, and can't quick select favorite locations or paste in paths. See this stackoverflow spot for a heated discussion on folder browsers!

Update
I have added a 'presets' section to the options menu. This allows you to set up an environment targeted to different Sphere versions, files, plugins, etc. In this way you can distinguish between TS projects and Sphere projects.

I'll put up v1.1.3.0
- Added preset settings option
- Refactored editor settings saving
- Added script folding
- Added script highlighting
- Added Script brace matching
- Added script font editing
- Added script tab changing
- Added script spaces changing
- Fixed paste button not activating
- Fixed some shortcut keys not activating
- Made project list load faster
- Fixed map editor not selecting single tiles
- Fixed tile addition/removal causing selection box to appear
- Fixed not being able to open engine/config on empty project
- Fixed paste not redrawing image editor
- Added Ctrl+W hotkey
  • Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:35:16 am by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Radnen's Sphere Studio v1.1.3.0
Reply #52
Update
Added Mirror drawing mode to the editor. You can now mirror vertically, and horizontally. This is great in the map editor for when you have to edit terrain and don't want to flip tiles all the time or sprites.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #53
That automatic mirroring functionality looks handy!  Your editor is already miles ahead of the stock editor, Radnen, and it keeps getting better. :). Now all it needs is the ability to change the script editor font and tab size and I'll use it exclusively...
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #54

Now all it needs is the ability to change the script editor font and tab size and I'll use it exclusively...

That's standard in 1.1.3.0, see the changelog. :)

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #55
I read well...  :-[. Haha, thanks, now I can finally ditch the old-as-hell default editor!
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #56
Hey, I figured out a solution to the folder dialog issue: Just use an OpenFileDialog with the filter set to only show the correct filename--engine.exe or config.exe.  I've seen a couple apps do this when the executable to be located has a known filename (e.g. foobar2000 with encoders).
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #57
Good idea, but considering how Sphere is built, letting the user define the .exe would be a bit better. Since for some release games engine.exe is renamed.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #58
Then you should be using an OpenFileDialog instead of a FolderBrowserDialog anyway! :)

Also, a bug (or maybe just an annoying "feature" ;) ) I found: Running the project collapses all folders in the project viewer, every single time.  VERY annoying.  I swear there was another bug I found, but I can't remember what it was now... oh that's right, you can't open a file from the project explorer by pressing Enter, it just dings at you instead.

Oh, and maybe add an option to change the font for the project tree?  Again, the default one is too small on my 1920x1080 laptop display.  Speaking of which, thanks for changing the default for the script editor from Courier New to Consolas, the latter is a much nicer font for programming.
  • Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:27:25 am by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #59

Then you should be using an OpenFileDialog instead of a FolderBrowserDialog anyway! :)

Will do.

Also, a bug (or maybe just an annoying "feature" ;) ) I found: Running the project collapses all folders in the project viewer, every single time.  VERY annoying.  I swear there was another bug I found, but I can't remember what it was now... oh that's right, you can't open a file from the project explorer by pressing Enter, it just dings at you instead.

Yeah, it has to do with the background filesystem watcher (so the tree auto-updates when things are added / removed from outside of the editor). The Sphere engine automatically overwrites the game.sgm as soon as it runs, causing the tree to reset. I could do one of two things here, turn the system watcher off while the engine runs or modify the tree so that adding/removing nodes doesn't collapse it.

Oh, and maybe add an option to change the font for the project tree?  Again, the default one is too small on my 1920x1080 laptop display.  Speaking of which, thanks for changing the default for the script editor from Courier New to Consolas, the latter is a much nicer font for programming.

Hmm, I'll try something out.

Sphere-sfml here