Skip to main content

News

Topic: Sphere 2.0: Tonight, We Ride! (into the pig) (Read 4577 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Sphere 2.0: Tonight, We Ride! (into the pig)
:pig_nose: *MUNCH*

This is a placeholder topic for the eventual Sphere 2.0.  I've decided to maintain minisphere for a while longer as a backward-compatible engine, and have forked the project for the purposes of the 2.0 overhaul.  The GitHub repository is here:
https://github.com/fatcerberus/sphere

edit: Removed Sphere 2.0 repository for now (I still have the code saved locally), need to get minisphere 3.1 work out of the way first so that the new engine can be based on that instead of 3.0.8.  Too many merge conflicts to deal with trying to keep the two engines in sync right now.
  • Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:02:07 am by Lord English
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Sphere 2.0: Tonight, We Ride! (into the pig)
Reply #1
Hey, good thinking! Making a clean cut like this might actually be for the best, considering how much the API will be changing.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #2
Despite the fork, I'm going to keep the version numbering as-is, to reflect the project's history.  As such it will be versioned at v4.0.  I still consider this largely experimental--depending on how everything turns out in the end, I may just merge the changes back into the minisphere repo.  If I could manage to support both the Vanilla and Pegasus APIs in one engine that'd be awesome too, but one thing at a time. :)
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #3
So yeah, I decided to ditch the fork and just continue versioning minisphere as normal.  We can just say that "Sphere" is the name of the standard and minisphere is the official reference implementation.  Sort of like how "Python" is the programming language but the reference implementation is actually called "CPython"

Come to think of it, that was the original idea for minisphere, I believe--to be a reference implementation for the next version of Sphere.  It's only taken me 4 versions to finally get there... :o)
forum thread | on GitHub