Skip to main content

News

Topic: Ludum Dare: a 2 to 3 day game dev jam - who's in? (Read 4449 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Ludum Dare: a 2 to 3 day game dev jam - who's in?

So the 42nd installment of the Ludum Dare game jam will be happening this weekend.
The competition lasts for the weekend if you're working alone, and it lasts 3 days if you're working in a team. Full rules here.

I'm going to be joining in (along with my wife, who will be doing some graphics and Rhuan, who will probably be contributing code) and make a little miniSphere game for it, and I was wondering if anyone else might be interested in joining in and make a game as well! :)

There will be a theme to the competition, but it isn't known until pretty much the last moment. These are the final possible themes that are being voted on right now though: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/42/theme

Some history with Ludum Dare and Spherical:
In the past I've participated before (and so has Radnen, several times in fact) and it's a good way to gain exposure to miniSphere as well.
  • Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:00:11 pm by DaVince

Re: Ludum Dare: a 2 to 3 day game dev jam - who's in?
Reply #1
This sounds pretty interesting. I've never done anything like this, and have always worked on my stuff (games and non-games) on my own time and at my own pace, so I think this will be a good way to challenge and test myself. And of course to promote miniSphere along with any other Spherical members who are joining.

Reply #2
5 minutes left!

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
The jam has been going on for about 10 hours now and my wife and I started working on things about an hour ago! The basic idea and framework are all laid down. Status updates will be here: https://ldjam.com/users/davince/feed
  • Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:02:40 am by DaVince

Reply #4
We're a little past the 24 hour mark, and things are getting pretty interesting. There are a lot of really cool looking projects.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
The jam has ended! I had a family visit and because of that break in activity I ended up not being able to deal with the pressure of finishing this on time. However, our game isn't dead! Rhuan has contributed some quality collision detection code and the artwork is also coming along nicely. I'll be resuming work on this in the evenings until we can release a nice, fun, miniSphere-based game.

Reply #6
I wasn't able to finish in time either. I bit off more than I could chew and got stuck on getting the enemy AI to work. On the bright side, I'll probably be able to use some of the code for my vector Asteroids clone, though I'll have to clean it up a bit since my code turned into a bit of a mess towards the end.