Skip to main content

News

Topic: Announcement: wiki updates (Read 7005 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Announcement: wiki updates
Just a heads up, but I'm going to be working on getting the wiki to perform faster.

I'd eventually like to update the wiki with a bunch of useful new articles and modifications, but as it is currently, the entire thing performs too slowly for this to be an enjoyable and speedy experience.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Announcement: wiki updates
Reply #1
Just a heads up, but I'm going to be working on getting the wiki to perform faster.

I'd eventually like to update the wiki with a bunch of useful new articles and modifications, but as it is currently, the entire thing performs too slowly for this to be an enjoyable and speedy experience.

Yeah, this is why I keep getting frustrated and end up not writing any articles.  I want to, but writing documentation is already tedious enough without having to wait 5-10 seconds every time I want to preview formatting or something. :(
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
Agreed.

Also, I just realized I never updated the wiki, because it's still an unnecessarily difficult process (sigh). There are still a lot of performance optimizations to try, however, so I'll be doing that for the time being unless performance just isn't going to work out with the current version of MediaWiki running.

Edit: welp, I can't actually make any changes at the moment because I don't have the right permissions into the wiki folder right now. That needs to be solved first, and I can't do it.
  • Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:29:26 pm by DaVince

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
Starting updates for real now; the wiki won't be properly functional for a while.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
The wiki software has (somehow mostly painlessly!) been updated to MediaWiki 1.28.2. With it come really nice performance improvements, to the point where there shouldn't be any issues editing articles anymore!

Happy editing! :D

Edit: by the way, if anyone has any tips for good MediaWiki extensions, for example for the purpose of editing etc, please let me know! I'm reinstalling the <syntaxhighlight> extension as we speak, and I'm also going to install a convenient mass editing one. (Edit 2: done!)
  • Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:17:43 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #5
Nice, it's much more responsive now. :D
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
I just noticed a huuuge issue: when you're not logged in, not a single page is viewable! Time to sort out what's going on there.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #7
Oh crud, I logged out to test that and now I can't log back in because the login page is not viewable either  :(

That definitely needs to be fixed ASAP.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
Oh crud, I logged out to test that and now I can't log back in because the login page is not viewable either  :(

That definitely needs to be fixed ASAP.
That sucks! I found out in privacy mode.

This is proving a little harder than I hoped because it seems like it might be an issue with an extension somewhere. I'm going to have to ask around MediaWiki's support desk.

Sorry so much for the trouble... :(

Edit: I created a thread on MediaWiki about this for now, and have to stop trying to solve the problem for today. I'm just glad it's not the forums that are broken...
  • Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:42:45 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #9
Luckily I'm still signed into the wiki on Pig Slayer (my custom-built desktop from last September), so I was able to make edits, and made up this draft of a Sphere v2 API page:
http://wiki.spheredev.org/API:RNG

None of the templates seem to work anymore so I had to write it from scratch.  I like how it came out. :D
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
Thanks, looks good, looks like I need to figure out what extensions would have been responsible for the templates. Thought I had everything working in that regard.

I've been trying to fix the permissions issue but even after disabling all extensions and trying an empty config file it's giving issues. It's a rather interesting problem because the logged in view and even the RSS feed are working just fine.

I might just try reinstalling the wiki and see where I get.
  • Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:56:05 am by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #11
@DaVince You're the only one that can see these right now, how does this page for DirectoryStream#next() look?
http://wiki.spheredev.org/API:DirectoryStream::next
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #12
Yeah, if MediaWiki has some kind of function to allow you to export all of the user-created articles as text files (or something like that), that might be for the best, since you could then do a clean wipe and put them all back up when everything is working.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13
@DaVince You're the only one that can see these right now, how does this page for DirectoryStream#next() look?
http://wiki.spheredev.org/API:DirectoryStream::next
I'll look at it later today if you don't mind. I looked at some of the recent changes a few days ago and they look right at home though. :)

Yeah, if MediaWiki has some kind of function to allow you to export all of the user-created articles as text files (or something like that), that might be for the best, since you could then do a clean wipe and put them all back up when everything is working.
I have direct access to the database, so it could be simpler than that. I think I'll try doing *another* clean wiki install and clean config file while referring to that database and see if it helps, because so far nothing else has.

Also, sorry for taking so long in general. I've been under a lot of pressure so allocating time to extra possibly frustrating things has been low.
  • Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:34:22 am by DaVince

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #14
@Fat Cerberus I like the way the page looks. Were there any issues or difficulties in creating the page? Did anything seem broken? You mention the template didn't work but what did it do? This'll be useful information for when I try to reinstall the whole thing... again... *Sigh*