Skip to main content

News

Topic: neoSphere 5.9.2 (Read 522151 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: minisphere
Reply #90
So I got minisphere building on OS X again.

Same as last time, it just locks up hard when it starts up. I know that I have no startup folder or games folder, but still...

EDIT:

Nevermind, it deadlocks even with directories nicely in place. I'll investigate.
  • Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:57:17 am by Flying Jester

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #91
There's a check in place, if there's no startup folder you're supposed to get an error message like the one pictured in this screenshot.  Maybe OS X and Allegro don't get along?

neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #92
minisphere only worked with the -game parameter. I just used my Sphere Studio. Building it was easy, I just didn't know how to start running a game. The startup game had consts and so it failed, and dragging a .sgm onto the executable didn't run the game.

@LordEnglish: yes, I meant RAM. .NET apps use the CLR and .NET runtime which are memory hogs, but if I account for that I still get about 20+MB's RAM usage out of it... so it's still a memory hog (but I'm not really going to worry about that, it's just a curiosity).
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #93

minisphere only worked with the -game parameter. I just used my Sphere Studio. Building it was easy, I just didn't know how to start running a game. The startup game had consts and so it failed, and dragging a .sgm onto the executable didn't run the game..

Does drag-and-drop work with Sphere 1.5?  Last time I tried I thought it didn't work, so I've always just opened stuff in Sphere Studio.  I'll have to implement that now.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #94
It's not the startup folder apparently, it's the system folder. I opened an issue, you are reading the system font without checking that it exists (maybe more things later, that's where it errors out).

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #95

It's not the startup folder apparently, it's the system folder. I opened an issue, you are reading the system font without checking that it exists (maybe more things later, that's where it errors out).

Yeah, there's a gross lack of sanity checks in here.  You wonder how I implemented this all so fast, well, here's your answer. :P

I'll look into it.

Edit: Found the issue.  There are no checks whatsoever in al_load_rfn_font() despite all my other loading functions having ample error checking.  The crash is because it's trying to read from an ALLEGRO_FILE* that is NULL (because the file didn't exist).
  • Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:42:03 am by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #96

Does drag-and-drop work with Sphere 1.5?  Last time I tried I thought it didn't work, so I've always just opened stuff in Sphere Studio.  I'll have to implement that now.

Well, Sphere was able to do this magical thing called "registering a filetype", I couldn't seem to do this easily in .net but if I implemented drag and drop, I was able to set the Engine.exe of SSFML to open on default for any .sgm related files and it worked. I can play games in SSFML by double-clicking the .sgm game icon. This is a feature I want to add to Sphere Studio too.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #97

Well, Sphere was able to do this magical thing called "registering a filetype", I couldn't seem to do this easily in .net but if I implemented drag and drop, I was able to set the Engine.exe of SSFML to open on default for any .sgm related files and it worked. I can play games in SSFML by double-clicking the .sgm game icon. This is a feature I want to add to Sphere Studio too.

I think that was something that the installer itself did.

Drag-and-drop is much simpler, fortunately.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #98

I think that was something that the installer itself did.

File->Options->Register filetypes. But, it doesn't seem to list .sgm, but it does have .spk.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #99
That reminds me, at some point I have to add SPK support to minisphere.  That should be fun... :-\
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #100
SPK support isn't that bad. It's extremely simple and uses zlib.

I would recommend for simplicity having the engine, when told to `run' an SPK, unpack the SPK into a subdirectory of your engine's root and run the game from there.

Or just don't do SPKs. It's a pretty silly format to begin with.
  • Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:06:02 am by Flying Jester

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #101

I would recommend for simplicity having the engine, when told to `run' an SPK, unpack the SPK into a subdirectory of your engine's root and run the game from there.

Or just don't do SPKs. It's a pretty silly format to begin with.

I kind of like the idea having a single file to distribute a game, and I found out I don't even have to unpack it to disk--Allegro lets me open a buffer in memory as a file (sort of like a memory mapped file but in reverse...) that I can pass to loading functions.

Of course, if we're being honest, if I weren't trying for near-1:1 Sphere compatibility I would probably just use zip instead of SPK... Well, I'll see what happens.  Either way it's not a priority for a while at least.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #102
(Sort of) new feature: minisphere displays internal FPS when the framerate is throttled, as by calling SetFrameRate().  This helps to differentiate skipped frames from actual slowdown.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #103
I still wouldn't mind having something like an spk2 format which is really just a zip or tarball you can associate with Sphere.

Nice work, by the way. And yes, you could drag an SGM over engine.exe in 1.5. Used to do it a lot. :)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #104
@Radnen:
Let me just say that the SSFML testbed has been invaluable in filling out the Sphere API.  I'm almost at the point of being able to run all the non-map-engine tests, there's now only 2 or 3 that error out due to missing APIs.  Most of my implementations have gone off without a hitch and produce identical output to SSFML and Sphere 1.5 (outside of the speed tests, which seem universally faster than Sphere 1.5)--except for the surface test.

Here's the thing: I'm not actually sure what's wrong in my implementation because I can't decipher the surface test code.  It creates 4 surfaces and then proceeds to juggle them like crazy, so I don't know where minisphere is failing, but clearly something is screwed up, as you can see in the attached screenshot.  The green-tinged versions of the Blockman sprite are missing, and the whole bottom row is just the green blocks without the rotated silhouette...
  • Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:28:19 pm by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub