News

Topic: The Sphere Studio v1.2.1 (Read 200527 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Radnen's Sphere Studio v1.1.6.0
Reply #255
Haha, you'll find that I can be like the GUI police at times, I'm a big proponent of consistency in that area.  Things like button order and such tend to be standard across the board, so when the odd app does it differently it can be disorienting.  Like, originally, you had the buttons in order Cancel-OK and I was forever cancelling out when I really wanted to save the changes, so I finally swapped them around when I overhauled it.  This was always my biggest complaint with Linux: Every program tends to have its UI set up a little differently, so it's a learning curve every time you want to try a new one.  Whereas things tend to be more standardized on Windows.

But yeah, that makes sense with the secondary styles now.  If you have a nested panel you apply the secondary style to it instead of the primary to get some contrast.  Indeed a good idea. :)
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #256
On the topic of standardized windows, there really isn't a standard per se, but there are some you can subscribe to such as this one from some company named SSW: http://www.ssw.com.au/ssw/Standards/rules/rulestobetterwindowsforms.aspx

I'm sure there are more examples out there.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #257
I didn't mean a formal standard though, I realize one doesn't exist (I assume MS has some kind of UI standards for Windows Logo certification though), I basically just meant most developers try to mimic the way the OS's built-in programs do it when possible.  On Linux that doesn't seem to happen, every app kind of does its own thing and you lose the sense of... I guess unity would be a good word?  Of course the sheer proliferation of disparate Linux distros probably doesn't help in that department.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #258

I didn't mean a formal standard though, I realize one doesn't exist (I assume MS has some kind of UI standards for Windows Logo certification though), I basically just meant most developers try to mimic the way the OS's built-in programs do it when possible.  On Linux that doesn't seem to happen, every app kind of does its own thing and you lose the sense of... I guess unity would be a good word?  Of course the sheer proliferation of disparate Linux distros probably doesn't help in that department.

Unless a person makes a Gtk-based app and follows their big book of user interface guidelines. KDE might also have a similar set of GUI standards, but I'm not sure.

Reply #259
KDE does have standards for UI design. So does LXDE. Many programs follow the standards (or at least try to) of whatever environment they are intended for. Which can make for odd experiences when you install a lot of software from different places. I've found almost all GUI programs are designed to look at home for KDE-qt or GTK, but the difference between what is normal for those two is huge.
Except for a surprising number of file managers that are designed to look like right in the long-dead CDE...

And I can attest that GUI design is definitely not enforced for WIndows Logo certification. Mine eyes, they have seen the horrors that await the adventurous.

As long as it makes sense and isn't obnoxious, I'm sure the community will not be disappointed. Remember that this is replacing an editor that in many situations lacked an undo function.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #260
Hm, so I'm trying to implement theming for plugins.  My initial experiment with the Sound Test plugin (which oddly has become the designated guinea pig for stuff like this) was successful, it applies the proper colors and font to the listview and toolbar, everything's fine.  That done, I went to update the script plugin and discovered a showstopper in Scintilla: You can't change the backcolor of the control.  Well, you can, and it does change the background, but it still paints the text with a white background, making for a very ugly result.  Haven't done any testing with the FastTextBox yet, maybe I should...
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:31:09 pm by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #261
Running x64 Windows 7, and attempting to run the Sphere Editor.exe results in it crashing and burning without fail. I've gotten little usable information about what is going wrong so far, and I'm not sure if I may be missing a non-standard system dll or something, or if running from my D: drive is causing the problem. The problem signature in the crash report notes that it is a "System.IO.FileLoadException". Full problem signature can be given if needed.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #262
Yeah, the full crash report would help.  FileLoadException sounds like a binary is missing, but can't tell which one without the full report.

Note that you should have .NET 4.5 installed.  I think the current release will work with stock 4.0, but the latest one upped the requirement to 4.5 (mainly due to the latter being an in-place upgrade with bugfixes that could potentially break an app built against 4.0).
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #263
After installing 4.5 for good measure, the results of the most recent crash:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r76nye4my0h9eq/Sphere%20Editor%20Crash.xml

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #264
That XML file doesn't seem to have much information... what does the exception window say when the crash happens?  I think with .NET errors you can click More Information and it'll show a stack dump, etc.  If you could get that info it'd really help.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #265
Without opening windows, it gives me a "The Sphere Studio has stopped working", with a second window asking me if I want to send more information about the problem, the first of which I linked to, and the third of which is in hex, and the second of which is below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jquz7byj8anpou/WERB36F.tmp.appcompat.txt

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #266
Hm, that just seems to be a list of all the DLLs that were loaded into the app, but no indication of which file caused the error.

MSDN describes a FileLoadException as follows: "The exception that is thrown when a managed assembly is found but cannot be loaded."  In other words, the file was found but couldn't be loaded for some reason, which is strange.  Come to think of it, I feel like I've seen that error once or twice while debugging, but I can't remember what caused it...

Here, just for the hell of it, try this, it's a WIP version of the next release.  I can confirm it works for me and isn't missing any files; I use it a lot via PortableApps, so if anything were missing I'd have noticed.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxPKLRqQOUSNUk5IcDJqTjE4NEU/edit?usp=sharing
forum thread | on GitHub

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #267
Maybe the x64 version mezzoEmrys has is trying to load 32-bit libraries?

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #268
It could be the sound player module. But in that case you can just tell it to continue and you'll be able to load it without the module.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #269
BTW I'm getting the same error when starting the editor:

Code: [Select]
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: sphere editor.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 1.1.6.0
  Problem Signature 03: 51e9ea2f
  Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.17929
  Problem Signature 06: 4ffa561c
  Problem Signature 07: 26a0
  Problem Signature 08: 0
  Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileLoadException
  OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

So I tried building myself so I could debug it. I'm using Xamarin Studio. The project had missing references to ObjectListView so I built that and added it. It's now complaining about the script_edit.png resource:

Which does exist, so I'm not sure what the problem is.. Any idea?

Edit: Building in VS2012 worked flawlessly and the FileLoadException is no longer thrown. Here's an x86 build that you can try:

http://files.casiotone.org/SphereStudio-vs2012-x86.rar
  • Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:43:56 pm by casiotone