Skip to main content

News

Topic: neoSphere 5.9.2 (Read 523861 times) previous topic - next topic

• FBnil
  • [*][*]
Re: minisphere 1.2
Reply #555
Somehow... I rechecked the version: 1.2 does contain 2 binaries: 64 bits and 32 bits. Can not run it on VM Windows XP SP3 (64bits is not executable, as expected. and the 32 bits abends with "minisphere was unable to create a display window"). On wine, the 32 bit runs. But zones do not work. Packaged binaries are from Jun  6 01:35

I also detected a problem with layers that move automatically: When next to a map border, the map does not move, but the sprite does, instead of staying in the center of the screen, while the map moves, it is the sprite that moves while reaching a border. In those cases, the layers moves away from the cursor keys, as if the map was still moving. (need a example game for that?)

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #556
I have a suggestion: would you consider a "global install" version of Sphere? One where you'd put all the games in an App Data folder on Windows or in $HOME/.local/sphere (or $HOME/.sphere) on Linux, and the actual executable in Program Files and /usr/bin? That would be useful for a few reasons:

A) It allows Sphere to become available in package managers, which in turn would attract new users
B) You can just run the command "minisphere" from anywhere that way
C) You separate the binary from the data that can be changed (like the games folder), which means no write access problems

Thinking about it, this is mostly beneficial for Linux. Though point C benefits both Windows and Linux, and probably OS X too.

Using Linux with wine.

That begs the question... why? The native Linux version functions perfectly fine. :P
Also, good to see you back!
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:46:41 am by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #557
I have no idea why zones aren't working for you, nil.  Did you try the Lithonite tech demo I included with the engine?  That is based heavily on zones obviously, and works fine on my end.

@DaVince: This is a good idea, I'll consider it for the next release. :)
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #558
Oh, and yes, I'd like an example game for the layer thing because I have no idea what you're talking about :P.  I assume the zone thing you're doing is some edge case where my behavior differs from Sphere's as well, so I'd like to see a testcase for that too.  I just tested a few games with zones myself and they work fine, so your use case must be different.

Oh, and yes, it won't run in an XP VM, I tried.  I think it can't initialize OpenGL due to lack of hardware acceleration, so Allegro display creation fails.
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:55:28 am by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• FBnil
  • [*][*]
Reply #559

That begs the question... why? The native Linux version functions perfectly fine. :P

Because I was testing minisphere 1.2 (and the zip contains only a windows build?). I am a bit lost though, lots of reading/catching up to do in 1 year. And all interesting posts, so I can not skip along...

Thanks for the welcome back! Good to see you guys again! Hope you are all doing well.

I attached a fog demo. Just run up, and you see the fox moving too fast, then, behave normally once the sprite is centered.

Will try to get it on a windows 7 machine to test it there. For now, no luck getting zones running. Just in case, can you point me again to the binaries... just in case (I grabbed them from the first post, that was updated... but...)

• FBnil
  • [*][*]
Reply #560

Did you try the Lithonite tech demo I included with the engine?

Of course, and also one I had lying around. All I can think of is that I grabbed the wrong zip.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #561
minisphere 1.2 download link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw-4UFVty4u1fjJ2RHNUTFNzMVp1WEFVOHlJaFk4STJPd1RMVmFLeGtDQWQ5SVlSSXhEWFk

I've made a few changes since the release in the Git repo, but none that affect the map engine.  So yeah, this is baffling.  I see what you mean about the layer thing though.  I copied the parallax logic pretty much as-is from Sphere 1.x (in my own coding style of course :) ), so I must have screwed something up there.  I'll look into it and fix it and post minisphere 1.2.1.
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:12:53 pm by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #562
Okay, I diagnosed the parallax bug.  Sphere does camera correction before parallax, whereas minisphere currently does it after.  This messes up the offsets when parallax is involved.  I should have caught this in testing, but as not many Sphere games in the wild use parallax and my own tests involved a repeating map (so there are no edges), it didn't show up.

It should be easy enough to fix.  Thanks for the report!
forum thread | on GitHub

• FBnil
  • [*][*]
Reply #563
Not only with parallax enabled, if we take sully chronicles, the palmtree leafs on the upperlayer go everywhere too.
Another bug is an offset with the collision box. See image.

I also attach TechDemo_Lithonite2.2 (it has a mirror demo to the topright of the screen, the rest is the same. It has a newer version of Lithonite, 2.2 with a few bugfixes)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #564
Ah, so it's a regression in GetCurrentZone(), not zone handling specifically.  That used to work (Lithonite was one of my big compatibility targets during development, just so you know :D), but apparently now it doesn't.  Thanks, that screenshot was a huge help!  On my end it ended up reporting it as Zone 769 half the time, which of course broke the mirror demo with an "invalid layer index" error.  I'll look into it.

Do you happen to know where I can get Sully Chronicles?  I don't see it in the Spherical repository.  I'm assuming it has to do with the parallax too though, maybe not parallax specifically but autoscrolling, which is part of the same calculation.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #565
I should still have Sully Chronicles on my computer. Should. Gimme a minute.

Because I was testing minisphere 1.2 (and the zip contains only a windows build?). I am a bit lost though, lots of reading/catching up to do in 1 year. And all interesting posts, so I can not skip along...

Ah, okay. Basically, you just get the code from Git and compile it yourself - the dependencies are very minimal (only need the Allegro dev libraries and libmng).
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:42:16 pm by DaVince

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #566
Sully is now available in the incomplete/demo games folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw-4UFVty4u1UGhwY2dKMFdySlE&authuser=0
Note that this game is VERY incomplete.

I took the liberty to test it out a bit too, though in an older version (on Linux, haven't updated/compiled it in a while). The layers were all screwy, and the mod music isn't playing. Gonna recompile and see how it is with the latest.
(Edit: yep, same deal with latest)
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:44:14 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #567
Yep, I was right, it was the parallax.  For SC, for whatever reason the parallax flag is set on the Foreground layer, so minisphere treats it as a repeating layer, while the map itself is non-repeating.  Since the parallax code didn't do preemptive camera correction like Sphere does (I thought it would be enough to only correct the final offset), this caused parallax layers to scroll out of sync with the rest of the map.  If these had been repeating maps, everything would have been fine.

Both the GetCurrentZone() bug and this issue are now be fixed as of this commit:
https://github.com/fatcerberus/minisphere/commit/3a9498d6daeea5264ecceed17026714071ec2a79

Thanks for the bug reports guys, as always.  :) minisphere 1.2.1 will be up shortly, with both of these fixes included.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #568
It's great to see a game that didn't work correctly only ten minutes ago work correctly now. :P Hope you've noticed the mod music not playing? Because it's not under Linux, for some reason.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #569
minisphere 1.2.1 is up.  It fixes the bugs discussed above as well as a bug in font.wordWrapString() causing the last word in the text to be lost if it ends on a wrap boundary.
forum thread | on GitHub