Skip to main content

News

Topic: RPG JS & RPG Creator for reference (Read 5521 times) previous topic - next topic

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
RPG JS & RPG Creator for reference
RPG JS
RPG Creator

Assuming RPG JS is any good (especially the Canvas Engine stuff of the guy), do we want to use its design as a possible base for implementing Web Sphere? A quick look at its source on GitHub reveals a design paradigm (extremely modular and, probably by the necessity of using JS for the core, extremely functional) that's significantly different from the current ways we already implement Sphere (monolithic as fuck, extremely intertwined, and extremely procedural in most instances) and I'd like some opinions from others here on whether it's better or worse.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: RPG JS & RPG Creator for reference
Reply #1
Hmm... I dunno. That RPG Creator thing you linked to seems pretty big, but also a bit convoluted (not to mention it's a non-free solution). Canvas Engine looks interesting, kind of reminds me of Crafty.js (how does it compare?). Though typos like "propreties" inside the original source code make me a bit more sceptical.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #2
Isn't the 21st century usage called "skeptical"? :P

Yeah, I think it's rough around the edges, but the tile engine is very well done. The event system often loses the keyboard entirely, and the map editor doesn't display correctly. Also, the load times are very slow and don't always show you a loading screen: did it hang, did it fail? I think there is still some potential in it, though.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #3

Isn't the 21st century usage called "skeptical"? :P

I thought so, too, but then the British spelling dictionary showed me it's sceptical. And I generally follow British English rules. ;)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #4
Okay, that's weird American dictionaries call that 'Archaic' despite it being used still to this day. :/ But then again, American dictionaries are dumb.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #5
Canadian English says it's `skeptical`. And I always use Canadian English. It has a nicer colour of behaviour, centred on clarity. Eh.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #6
Obviously we would pick and choose what parts we'd like to emulate, I was actually focusing more on the Canvas Engine roots of it than the RPG-centric stuff that looks almost like a port of RPGMaker to a webapp. If events are broken we wouldn't do events like that, for example, but keep in mind that map engine development (in Web Sphere and almost any Sphere fork) is still lacking and I take some of the blame for my delays in putting up a usable RMP parser in web-sphere-utilities.