• [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: minisphere
Reply #45
Looks like this here: http://i.imgur.com/C6o9Lgk.png

Reply #46
@NEO They appear correctly for me in Fx. I tested in Safari and Lynx too, just because you mentioned it, no issues there either.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #47
NEO: Seems good on the default theme.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #48
Ok, so the issue is only with my unreleased Spherical theme; I know what needs to be fixed and how, I just wanted to make sure it was only one theme.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #49
I thought I was supposed to have the Spherical theme. Could you enable it for me?

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #50
Spectacles runs in minisphere!  There seems to be a good deal of lag on slower machines, though.  Not sure yet if the bottleneck is rendering-related (Allegro) or Duktape though.
  • Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:27:20 am by Lord English
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #51
Wow that was fast!
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #52
Yeah, as it turns out the Sphere 1.5 API isn't all that complicated, there's just a LOT of functions.  Most of the graphics APIs would be about 3-5 lines of code if it weren't for all the stack juggling Duktape requires.

So, who's up for trying to compile minisphere on something other than Windows to see how it works? :D
  • Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:03:33 pm by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #53

I thought I was supposed to have the Spherical theme. Could you enable it for me?

It says you already have it, hm...

Reply #54

Yeah, as it turns out the Sphere 1.5 API isn't all that complicated, there's just a LOT of functions.  Most of the graphics APIs would be about 3-5 lines of code if it weren't for all the stack juggling Duktape requires.

Implementing the Sphere graphics API was precisely what lead me to believe that it would be better to have a very small API, even if it were a little more verbose. That's why TurboSphere just has the Shape and Group objects, and no primitives or even direct Surface or Image blitting at all.

So, who's up for trying to compile minisphere on something other than Windows to see how it works? :D

I can give it a try on some other platforms.

I already tried earlier, and I found the following:

Solaris US: Doesn't work, Allegro doesn't work there.
FreeBSD: Same
Haiku: Same

But I assume you are more interested in Linux and OS X.
  • Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:25:06 pm by Flying Jester

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #55

Implementing the Sphere graphics API was precisely what lead me to believe that it would be better to have a very small API, even if it were a little more verbose. That's why TurboSphere just has the Shape and Group objects, and no primitives or even direct Surface or Image blitting at all.

I can give it a try on some other platforms.

I already tried earlier, and I found the following:

Solaris US: Doesn't work, Allegro doesn't work there.
FreeBSD: Same
Haiku: Same

But I assume you are more interested in Linux and OS X.

Yeah, Linux and OS X are my main concerns.  Honestly I don't know anyone that uses Solaris or FreeBSD (although I assume the latter is more common), and I've never even heard of Haiku.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #56
I keep getting a "syntax error: parse error (line 10)". I've tried to run the startup game or other games, but with no luck.

I'm also surprised that for a minisphere it's the same size on disk as my SSFML. But the memory use should be much, much shallower in yours.
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:37:21 am by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #57

I keep getting a "syntax error: parse error (line 10)". I've tried to run the startup game or other games, but with no luck.

I'm also surprised that for a minisphere it's the same size on disk as my SSFML. But the memory use should be much, much shallower in yours.

Parse error means it encountered const.  If you change the consts to vars, you'll have a better shot at running it.

Also: It's still smaller than Sphere 1.5.  About half the size at last check.  Also a much smaller codebase.  Vanilla Sphere's codebase is frankly huge for such a simple engine.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #58

Also: It's still smaller than Sphere 1.5.  About half the size at last check.  Also a much smaller codebase.  Vanilla Sphere's codebase is frankly huge for such a simple engine.

Even if you include all the Allegro libraries? Sphere's codebase includes the entire editor, too (which has some guts in many shared components), as well as the loaders for many audio file types, image types (including all of libungif), and the binaries include the MSVC runtime, as well as several graphics plugins.

I'd be surprised if, including all the necessary libraries, minisphere was actually able to open all the same file types as Sphere, play most of the same games (stuff like const notwithstanding), and was still less than half the size.
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:31:51 am by Flying Jester

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #59
It still says that error no matter how simple of a script I put in it, even if it has <10 lines code.

Sphere-sfml here