Skip to main content

News

Topic: A temporary absence for me (Read 6048 times) previous topic - next topic

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
A temporary absence for me
My MacBook Air decided it no longer wants to power on for me. I'm taking it to the Apple store tomorrow to see if the Genius Bar can actually do something about it, but I'm less than hopeful it will be resolved that soon. I'd look at it myself but I don't have access to a small 5-pointed star bit.

I'm gonna be considerably less active here for a while until I can resolve that, since the Windows laptop is a pain-in-the-ass jet engine that threatens to BSOD on me if I even breathe on it funny.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: A temporary absence for me
Reply #1
That really sucks! We'll be here; hope you can get things sorted soon enough.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #2
Went to the Apple Store and got it looked at. It was an SMC issue and was solvable without spending money. Safari is running slow as molasses though, so surfing the forums is still a chore.

Reply #3
Download the Google Chrome app. Million times better than Safari.

Reply #4
Firefox is nice, too. And less evil.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #5
I stopped using Firefox in favor of Chrome a while ago because it keeps getting more sluggish with every release, and they keep adding bloat (Pocket, Firefox Hello, etc.) to what, once upon a time, was a very streamlined browser.

Firefox ain't what it used to be.

For me personally, I also have an instinctive distrust of anyone who puts in so much effort to tell me how not-evil they are (Google wised up to this a long time ago).  Almost every time Firefox updates I get to see a page about how "we're not for profit and don't exploit you for gain, we're making the Internet better" etc.  It's like they're trying too hard and, for me, at least, it raises red flags.

On a side note, I also wonder why, if Mozilla cares so much about privacy, they switched from Google as the default browser to Yahoo, instead of something like, say, DuckDuckGo.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #6
Of note, Chrome also has the same tech as Firefox Hello, it's just under a different name (WebRTC).

On a side note, I also wonder why, if Mozilla cares so much about privacy, they switched from Google as the default browser to Yahoo, instead of something like, say, DuckDuckGo.

Because the search engine deals help pay the bills, and DuckDuckGo isn't in a position to really have that kind of relationship with Mozilla. Yahoo is, and it is a more anonymizing front-end to Bing. It's a compromise.