Skip to main content

News

Topic: Swimmisan's Introduction (Read 5798 times) previous topic - next topic

Swimmisan's Introduction
Hello, all. I feel like I should say one more sentence here to bridge my introduction and background, but I can't think of anything. I've known about Sphere for a long time and it seemed like a really good development kit (those Fallacious Gear demos seemed amazing to me), but I never really used it because of my lack of programming skills. Now all these years later, I came back with more expansive programming knowledge, and was looking for a program that had what I felt comfortable developing games in. I thought Sphere was dead, but to my surprise found out about TurboSphere and the community still around supporting it. I plan to stay with Sphere for a while, and I'm currently running version 1.5. I also have a little problem that I just found out about (that was also the motivation for me making this account:

I have a few functions that use GetTime() to hold off drawing to the screen for a given amount of time. Strange thing is, if I have extra programs running in the background (Firefox, Skype), it processes the time what seems normally. However, if Sphere is the only thing running, all times set run significantly slower. Anyone know what's up with this? It seems to be a problem with the engine, not my code. Especially odd since it seems like the opposite of what would happen with more programs running.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Swimmisan's Introduction
Reply #1
Hi Swimmisan! Wow you must have known Sphere wayyy back to remember those fallacious demos. I don't think we have them anymore. Welcome to the community (again)! As you can see we had to downsize, but it's slowly rebuilding.

As for your question: I have no idea what would cause that. I know there was a bug with GetTime in 1.5 and below where the clock would "roll over". It can be fixed with this:

Code: (javascript) [Select]

GetTime = function() { return Date.now(); }

Sphere uses only 1 core when it runs. Perhaps your OS is boosting the speed with more programs running in the background. But usually you should just see consistent speeds. If sphere is the front window, well it'll grab all the attention. But it should not slow down, unless your computers speed dramatically increases/ decreases depending on the num processes running. ???
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #2

Hi Swimmisan! Wow you must have known Sphere wayyy back to remember those fallacious demos. I don't think we have them anymore.

Nah, we still have them. They're packed in with some of the older Sphere versions.

In any case, welcome! Nice to see someone pick up Sphere many years after they've known about it. :)

Reply #3
Version 1.1 i believe

Downloaded it to play Kefkas revenge but it wouldnt run on win8 for sum reason (the engine itself that is)

Havent tried my other computers yet