Skip to main content

News

Topic: Why'd you choose your username? (Read 24498 times) previous topic - next topic

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Why'd you choose your username?
My curiosity about the fantastic members of the Sphere community knows...well, not no bounds. I mean, I don't wanna know your heights or the names of your elementary schools. But, uh, I'm rambling >_>

Why'd you choose your username? What's it mean, where's it from?

As for me, Mooch is the name I gave my Animal Crossing character back in 2001 or 2002. I've used it a couple times online, though generally I come up with a different username for every forum / online service / etc. I join. It's not like Mooch is my one online alias or anything.

I just randomly chose it when I originally joined the old Sphere forums, but it's proven an appropriate name, given how much I get everyone to help me with my code and how I give nothing back :p

How 'bout you?

Re: Why'd you choose your username?
Reply #1
`Flying Jester` is the pseudonym of NiGHTs in one of the Sega All-star riders racing something games (I don't remember which one).

I am a huge fan of the original NiGHTs game. I think it is a masterpiece of abstract design, creative gameplay, and immersion. It was also one of the first games I ever owned. And it had its own controller (which is really only usable for that one game). And was the really standout Sonic Team game for the Sega Saturn--one of my favorite systems ever made, both from technological and gamer perspectives.

I guess I liked the idea of an elegant and mysterious figure, part acrobat and part jester, too. And I've never seen the name be already taken on any site I've signed up for. I don't like having numbers in my usernames.

Also, I'm 6'1". Almost all of the coats that I own belonged to dead people before I got them. And I own a dove that I creatively named 'Dove'. I add that just for curiosity's sake, of course.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #2
Mine is the name of a character from the webcomic Homestuck. Lord English is an indestructible, time-traveling demon who is summoned upon the destruction of a universe and then proceeds to travel back in time to an earlier point in its lifetime. Thus, if he exists in your universe, then by definition you can't outrun him or prevent his summoning, as he is already here.  The concept of that is fascinating to me, for whatever reason. :)
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #3
Radnen = Andrew with w = r. It was a character I made in a game long ago (unreleased as it was bad) thought it was cool and just used that. Before that it was Feek, which I used as a name in games such as Animal Crossing, heh. I didn't like it as time went on.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #4
Mine was based on the legend of Merlin at Dinas Emrys. I was big into dragons and wizards and Merlin when I was younger, and so the name "Emrys" was one I was a fan of.
The "mezzo" part was not quite so prestigious, when I tried joining an online Go site I hadn't had a good username made yet, so I just got bored and put in "mezzo" such as in mezzo soprano or mezzo forte, and when someone already took that "mezzoE", which got conjoined with Emrys to become the name you see now.
The mezzo is pronounced like mezzanine, though.

Reply #5

Mine is the name of a character from the webcomic Homestuck. Lord English is an indestructible, time-traveling demon who is summoned upon the destruction of a universe and then proceeds to travel back in time to an earlier point in its lifetime. Thus, if he exists in your universe, then by definition you can't outrun him or prevent his summoning, as he is already here.  The concept of that is fascinating to me, for whatever reason. :)

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Doctor?

Reply #6

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Doctor?

Yes (Possible spoilers, maybe, depends on your definition of spoilers)
(Also possible seizure warning)
Also, Lord English has been retroactively associated with Ultima's Lord British

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
Also, I'm 6'1". Almost all of the coats that I own belonged to dead people before I got them. And I own a dove that I creatively named 'Dove'. I add that just for curiosity's sake, of course.

*shakes fist*
Dammit, what'd I just say?! Not no bounds!

But seriously, I don't like using numbers in my usernames, either. Which is actually the principle reason I use a different name on pretty much every site -- so much stuff's always already taken.

Whoa, that is fascinating. I've been aware of Homestuck for awhile now. Always sorta wanted to give it a look, but never really had the time. I think I'll make the effort now, though.

Though that sounds familiar. I wonder if it's from Lovecraft or Stephen King or something.

Radnen = Andrew with w = r. It was a character I made in a game long ago (unreleased as it was bad) thought it was cool and just used that. Before that it was Feek, which I used as a name in games such as Animal Crossing, heh. I didn't like it as time went on.

^_^

Interesting. Is that the proper pronunciation? I always say "metso," 'cause I associate the double-z with the ts-sound. Or "mezz-oh," ala the anime.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #8
Mooch, I actually thank you for being so active on the forums. Makes the entirety of the community and development more alive. So keep moochin'. :)

Anyway! My real name is Vincent, and I didn't make up my own nickname. Before I was on the internet, I was already messing around making music in Modplug Tracker. My uncle then suggested that I should have an artist name of sorts, and my (back then not yet) aunt suggested Da Vince. I liked that nickname and started using it on my first forum (though took the liberty of removing the space).

DaVince is the only nickname I use, unless it's DaVince21 or just my regular name.

Radnen = Andrew with w = r. It was a character I made in a game long ago (unreleased as it was bad) thought it was cool and just used that.

...Wow, I never realized that.

And it had its own controller (which is really only usable for that one game).

Bah, I use the 3D controller for all my Saturn games. (Then again, the alternative is some cheap finger-hurting Mad Catz controller.)

Is that pronounced the same as mezzoforte? Always pronounced it like that...

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #9
My full handle is NeoLogiX and use NEO on a forum if I can get away with it (ie, someone hasn't taken it before me, which pretty much only now happens if I set up the forum myself). It came to me in a car ride in 1997 and I fleshed it out to NeoLogiX EX Machina in 1999 to use as a "company" name for when I started offering development services professionally, right before I came up with my (current) handle "Apollolux," which came to me in a dream and is the current name of my "company."

Reply #10
I've met lots of people who have said it both ways, "mezz-o" and "met-so" so I make sure to define that, yes, it is "mezz-o". I always thought that mezzoforte and mezzosoprano were "mezz-o", but then I met people who pronounced it "met-so", so I figure it can be pronounced both ways.

Reply #11

Bah, I use the 3D controller for all my Saturn games. (Then again, the alternative is some cheap finger-hurting Mad Catz controller.)

Yeah, it works for all Saturn games, but the analog stick only works on NiGHTs, Sonic 3D Blast, and a couple fighter games (as far as I know). And for the games it does, you generally don't want full angle control. Lack of any fixed directional cues on analog stick doesn't really help in many games except NiGHTs.

Although it is still a Sega controller, miles ahead of any 3rd party stuff I've ever seen, even if you can only use the D-pad.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #12
Yeah, I much prefer the D-pad on the 3D controller too. Also love how the thing is basically a prototype Dreamcast controller:

Uh, okay. Sorry if I'm totally going off-topic here. I bet you can see one of my interests right now... :P

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13

Mooch, I actually thank you for being so active on the forums. Makes the entirety of the community and development more alive. So keep moochin'. :)

*kicks the dirt*
Aw, shucks...

Anyway! My real name is Vincent, and I didn't make up my own nickname. Before I was on the internet, I was already messing around making music in Modplug Tracker. My uncle then suggested that I should have an artist name of sorts, and my (back then not yet) aunt suggested Da Vince. I liked that nickname and started using it on my first forum (though took the liberty of removing the space).

DaVince is the only nickname I use, unless it's DaVince21 or just my regular name.

Is it weird that I predicted your username was based on music? I was actually thinking "DaVinci," who's an artist of course, but I somehow got music from that.

My full handle is NeoLogiX and use NEO on a forum if I can get away with it (ie, someone hasn't taken it before me, which pretty much only now happens if I set up the forum myself). It came to me in a car ride in 1997 and I fleshed it out to NeoLogiX EX Machina in 1999 to use as a "company" name for when I started offering development services professionally, right before I came up with my (current) handle "Apollolux," which came to me in a dream and is the current name of my "company."

Heh, there's an independent I.T. firm near my house called Neo LogiX. I'll take a picture of their sign outside.

I've met lots of people who have said it both ways, "mezz-o" and "met-so" so I make sure to define that, yes, it is "mezz-o". I always thought that mezzoforte and mezzosoprano were "mezz-o", but then I met people who pronounced it "met-so", so I figure it can be pronounced both ways.

I always said mezz-o before I took piano class. The teacher said met-so so many times it just rubbed off. Though I still call the anime Mezz-o Forte.

Uh, which upon checking Wikipedia, I forgot was a...not-for-children anime.

Yeah, it works for all Saturn games, but the analog stick only works on NiGHTs, Sonic 3D Blast, and a couple fighter games (as far as I know). And for the games it does, you generally don't want full angle control. Lack of any fixed directional cues on analog stick doesn't really help in many games except NiGHTs.

Although it is still a Sega controller, miles ahead of any 3rd party stuff I've ever seen, even if you can only use the D-pad.

Is that a reference to Nintendo's octagon? I friggin' love that thing.

Reply #14

Is that a reference to Nintendo's octagon? I friggin' love that thing.

Normally I agree. But NiGHTs works better without it. There is no well defined cardinal directions in that game, and you are usually more concerned with angles than with magnitudes.