Skip to main content

News

Topic: Promoting Sphere? (Read 227 times) previous topic - next topic

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Promoting Sphere?
Reply #15
As far as I know miniSphere doesn't have a choice of graphics drivers? Which somewhat removes that issue...

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Promoting Sphere?
Reply #16
Once you do anything really code-heavy though, like my Spectacles battle engine, or @Rhuan's map engine, the poor performance of interpreted JS really starts to hurt.
The map engine I'm working on was ok under Duktape - my update and render scripts could process 1000 sprites in approximately 15 ms, which is just fast enough for 60 FPS - though that was before I added collisions - with tile based collisions I tested with 500 and it was fine; I haven't done a stress test with polygon based collisions yet but it would probably be ok for 400+, the entities are moved in and out of segments of the map so that minimal collisions have to be tested directly.

I obviously can't test performance on old Sphere as my engine code is very dependent on the pegasus/galileo api which doesn't exist in 1.5.

Also though the fact that code I write runs fast on an engine does not mean the engine is fast - I'm a compulsive micro-optimiser.