Skip to main content

News

Topic: Font Size (Read 8281 times) previous topic - next topic

Font Size
Anybody have or know of any fonts that are lower than 8x8.

Preferably 6x6 in size.

I've created my own, but it's nowhere near perfect. (see attachment)

Re: Font Size
Reply #1
I actually rather like your font.

You could try acidfont or dafont, those sites have tons and tons of fonts.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #2
I like the font too, it may need some cleaning up here and there. I haven't seen it in sentences yet. But the glyph's aren't that bad. What's wrong with it?

I made a custom font for Blockman, and I think it's not too bad. They take a lot of tweaking to get right tho, the brain is really good at detecting small nuisances in fonts.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #3
Kamatsu made one a long time ago but I think it was lost with the previous forums.

This reminds me I really need to get crackin' on an online Sphere formats viewer :/

Reply #4
The only things that really bug me is the D (I think it shouldn't be squared on the top), the P looks a tad squished, and the apostrophe.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #5
I agree on the D, P, and apostrophe. The exclamation point needs bringing up by a pixel, and there seems to be feet on the C, I think they should go straight across. Otherwise it's not too bad.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #6
Yeah, I mean it's all little things (no pun intended), if you just go with this font you will notice the parts that need work over time. It's pretty close to how I would want it, anyway. And if you use a TTF font and the TTF-RFN converter, you will have to clean up every glyph. I would go with what you have now.

Reply #7
Alright, did another from scratch, while recovering from wisdom teeth surgery :/

Here's an image comparison between Original (on left) and Revision (on right):

What I'm thinking about doing is combining the two,
scrapping out the letters no one likes and saving those that make the cut.

State what you like or hate outta each, and I'll make the edits.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #8
Really nice work! I think the one one the right is almost entirely good, though the A from the left side would look better. Also, the J might need some tweaking (though it's still much better than the one on the left side) and the 2px space between the numbers is too big, compared to the 1px space between the letters.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #9
I would have stuck to 8x8, monospaced letters like what all awesome GB rpg's had: Pokémon, FF, Dragon Quest, etc.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #10
I for one like the old numbers better.

But it's looking very nice!

Reply #11

I would have stuck to 8x8, monospaced letters like what all awesome GB rpg's had: Pokémon, FF, Dragon Quest, etc.

Did at first.
Too big. Doesn't bond well with the game.
Attempted with the Pokemon font already.

I for one like the old numbers better.

Good you told me that, because I was considering the new ones.
Just need to edit 4, 5, 7, and 9  to the style as the others, and narrow them all down to 1px like DV said.
Personally adore the small, condensed look.

I think the one one the right is almost entirely good, though the A from the left side would look better. Also, the J might need some tweaking (though it's still much better than the one on the left side)

For myself, I think the right's V through Z turned out squished together too much, but could inspire a more condensed style if anyone wishes.
I'd prefer not though, unless someone recommends otherwise.

You're totally right on the A, it's been bugging me and I think just the same.
Idk what else to do with the J though.

Here's the new update:

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #12
Reminds me a lot of the font they used in Golden Sun, actually.  It looked well enough in the context of that game, but it did tend to cause eye strain after a while.  Might want to keep that in mind.

Oh, my only complaint based on the version in the shot above: The Y looks more like a yen sign than a Y.
  • Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:36:15 pm by Lord English
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub