Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 61512 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #270
I think I got stuck inside the dungeon for a few months too...

The grumble, grumble guy?

Yeah, I think so.  Didn't realize I had to give him the bait.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #271
That probably stumped a lot of players through the years. In ZeC, I refer to it everywhere in the code as just 'meat'.
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

Reply #272
Trying to append code into already existing code to add new functionality to the original code can be very frustrating at times... Attempting to add the Compass function to the already existing MapRef().

Edit: I had it functioning under the condition that if the player has the map & the compass, the Triforce location is drawn. In LoZ, it is possible to get the compass before the map, I changed the condition to the player having just the compass and it ceased functionality.
  • Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:59:39 pm by Miscreant

Reply #273
I've gotten the MapRef() to function for the map and Compass. In miniSphere it would function, in Sphere it kept causing a NaN error. It was kind of frustrating. So far though, It currently only functions for Level 1 but it does function now in both Sphere and miniSphere.
  • Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:24:41 pm by Miscreant

Reply #274
I was wondering, is there a way to prevent diagonal player movement?
  • Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:20:42 am by Miscreant

Reply #275
Upon further attempted implementation of the compass in MapRef(), I've come to realize that the way it is currently coded is causing compass values to be overwritten. Such as, if the player has the compass for levels 1 & 2 but is currently in level 1, the compass is showing the location for the triforce piece in level 2... I need to rethink how to code this functionality.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #276
I'm assuming the game already knows which level you're in, so the pseudocode should be as simple as:

Code: [Select]
if (currentLevel.playerHasCompass)
    lightUpRoom(currentLevel.triforceLocation);

Right?  I see no reason to look through the whole array of compass values when you already know which level you're in (and you would have to know that, to display the correct map in the first place).
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #277
I've been developing this project in a windows environment. If I wanted to demo it to someone who uses an apple/mac environment, how would I accomplish that?

Everything I've seen is "install in windows / install in ubuntu"
  • Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:34:35 pm by Miscreant

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #278
If you want it to be sphere 1.5 you'll have to point them to using wine.

On the other hand with miniSphere I build mac versions of miniSphere and share them:
http://forums.spheredev.org/index.php/topic,1215.msg10639.html#msg10639

I'm hoping at some point to add my build set up to the github repo so other people can build for macOS but my setup is a bit Heath Robinson at the moment so would need refactoring before it could be shared - for now the binaries I've posted are quite usable.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #279
There's a macOS build of miniSphere 5.0b1 in the downloads drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw-4UFVty4u1fjJ2RHNUTFNzMVp1WEFVOHlJaFk4STJPd1RMVmFLeGtDQWQ5SVlSSXhEWFk

I'm not sure what the minimum macOS/OS X version to run it is though.  I think Rhuan built it on Sierra.

edit: ninja'd by @Rhuan.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #280
I'm not sure what the minimum macOS/OS X version to run it is though.  I think Rhuan built it on Sierra.
edit: ninja'd by @Rhuan.
Yes it's built on Sierra and targeting Sierra, I could build targeting an older version if wanted - I've just seen so little to no feedback from anyone using it other than me so kept it with the easiest option for now.

Reply #281
Now that I no longer have the graphics issues I was encountering, I have been testing consistently to be sure that the game functions properly in sphere & minisphere.

Reply #282
Yes it's built on Sierra and targeting Sierra, I could build targeting an older version if wanted - I've just seen so little to no feedback from anyone using it other than me so kept it with the easiest option for now.

TBH: I'm not sure what version the other person is using and I, personally, haven't used an apple computer since the era of the original little boxy Macintosh.
  • Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:54:21 pm by Miscreant

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #283

TBH: I'm not sure what version the other person is using and I, personally, haven't used an apple computer since the era of the original little boxy Macintosh.
Sierra is the latest version of macOS the linked version of miniSphere should run out of the box on that and may run on older versions but may not, I should be able to build it for anything back to OSX 10.8 (aka Mountain Lion) with a little fiddling so let me know if it doesn't work for your friend and which version they want me to target. (If they need earlier than 10.8 it may be difficult)

Reply #284
Haven't test this with minisphere yet...

The arrow rock formation to unlock the Hidden Programmers Room is now the final piece of a 3 part unlocking sequence with 2 parts scattered in the overworld (1 being the arrow rock formation) and 1 part hidden in the underworld. They need to be accomplished in the proper sequence. Part 1 unlocks Part 2. Part 2 unlocks Part 3. Part 3 activates the portal to the Hidden Programmers Room.