Skip to main content

News

Topic: Hi (Read 7241 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi
Hello again Sphere ;D

I once visited the old forums learned a little then lost interest, well now im back older and (hopefully) a little wiser
to have yet another attempt at making games.

Nice to see some of the old faces still around tho (Davine, Flying Jester, Radnen and co).

My first problem seems to be with importing .png images to sprite sets, sphere just give me "error cannot import file"
am i doing something wrong? seems like this was easier last time i tried it (a loong time ago)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Hi
Reply #1
Welcome to Spherical! I'm afraid I don't remember you. :) Is this a new name?

About the error, AFAIK the old sphere editor (and mine) would need the spriteset set up in a particular way. Or if you are doing single image imports you could just copy/paste the image in. But be warned: the image needs to be the same size as the spriteset image size. (Go to the menu, spritesets, change size, and click resize spriteset to see what size it uses, and if so change it to the intended size).
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #2
Didn't think you would it was some time ago, you replied in almost all my posts though iirc
even helped me out with a little storyline for my game.. heh i think my username on old forums was hughesymc or something stupid+similar :D

but as i said i wasnt around long enough to realy make an impact in your memory ;)

Reply #3
what i tried was downloading random png images off the net, ill try what you said now

for the future tho how would you do it? or do you know of any good tutorials for drawing good sprites? as i kinda get how it works but dont know were to start and have no artistic skill whatsoever :(

Reply #4
Welcome back!

I actually don't remember you either...but welcome back all the same!

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #5

heh i think my username on old forums was hughesymc or something stupid+similar :D

Ah, see! I didn't remember who you were at all, but I do remember that name. Welcome back! Hope you stick around longer this time. ;)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #6
Yeah I remember the name hughesymc and I do remember you hanged around the support forum, alot. :P
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #7
probably still will ;D

i just need to stop myself copy pasting stuff.. not gunna learn that way haha

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8

probably still will ;D

i just need to stop myself copy pasting stuff.. not gunna learn that way haha

I like what I'm readin', here. This is basically how things went for me when I started with Sphere! At 14, mess around, copy-pasting random stuff, not really understanding anything and failing. A year later, coming back to it, properly learning the language and finally, making my own game and succeeding! Keep at it! :)

Reply #9
could i ask which tutorial you used/would recommend?

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
I used several of the documentation files that come with Sphere itself, but sometimes found them confusing or not explaining quite enough. That was one of the main reasons I wrote DaVince scripting tutorial, so it might be a good starting point. ;)

As you get a bit better, check out http://wiki.spheredev.org/Category:Tutorials

Reply #11
thanks ill give that a read now, figure ill start out with an intro and main menu

its were all games begin so i should probably start there to :)