Skip to main content

News

Topic: Flip frame horizontally for one direction frame (Read 7977 times) previous topic - next topic

Flip frame horizontally for one direction frame
I have a sprite of a tractor facing east. This graphic shows in all the direction labeled frames. I want to flip the east facing graphic horizontally for the west frame. If I select the West frame and then left click and choose flip horizontally,all of the frames, including the east frame, flip horizontally. If I select the West frame and choose edit tab and then click and choose flip horizontally, all frames are flipped not  just the West frame. I solved this once before but forgot how I did it.
  How can I get the first west frame to flip horizontally while leaving the east frame unflipped?  :o

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Flip frame horizontally for one direction frame
Reply #1
All of the actual pictures are in that little Spriteset images window - that's where you're supposed to add new graphics, including your flipped frame. So just duplicate the frame you already have (in that little window's right-click menu) and then flip the duplicate. ;)

Reply #2
The spriteset window shows 3 tabs for Frames, Edit amd Base. Down the left side are 8 directions and to the right of each direction label there is 1 frame. Currently all the 1st direction frames are showing my east frame graphic. Clicking on the west frame selects the frame and it is bordered with purple. Right clicking gets me a menu. There is Insert, Append, Insert frames, Append frames, Copy, Paste, Import from Image, Export to image, Edit Range, and Properties. So far so good. If I Edit Range -> Flip -> Horizontally and then copy the west facing graphic and then edit range-> fllip borizontally again to get the east frame going the right way, selecting the west frame and pasting the west orientation graphic into it results in all the frames changing to the west graphic. I exported the west graphic to an image then flipped all frames  horizontally and imported the west image to the west frame. Now there are two frames for west and the east facing frame is the second. I am deleting it. This way works. Why can't I just Edit Range Flip Horizontally?

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #3
What you described is sooo complicated I can't follow. :P

You make frames on the right by appending them. You edit the graphics. Then you just click on the frames on the left, and click on the images on the right that you want to be in those frames.

Flipping an image just means copy/pasting an image and flipping. There is no need to import or export images. :/
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
laserblue, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, but it sounds to me you're having some trouble with how the spriteset editor works. So I made a video showing how you make directions, animation frames, and assign those frames to a direction's animation. Also a quick demo of the very useful Insert Copy feature, and animation delays.

http://youtu.be/3jt8r-KKPkU

Flipping an image just means copy/pasting an image and flipping. There is no need to import or export images. :/

In the original editor, there's actually an option to duplicate a direction and creating new flipped graphics on the fly. (Also see video.)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #5

In the original editor, there's actually an option to duplicate a direction and creating new flipped graphics on the fly. (Also see video.)

Hum, I actually didn't know that. :P I've always trusted the pixel-art editor.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #6
Wow Davince, working on Ludum Dare AND making tutorial videos? Must be all that cycling keeping you fit ;)

Btw, why are you using that Win 95-ish windows theme? Is it part of Linux?

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7

Wow Davince, working on Ludum Dare AND making tutorial videos? Must be all that cycling keeping you fit ;)

I know, right? This was something to wake me up. :P

Btw, why are you using that Win 95-ish windows theme? Is it part of Linux?

Yeah, Wine has some really old-looking window style for MDI interfaces. Regular windows try to use the normal window manager, but nested windows don't.

Reply #8
Thank you very much for the video tutorial DaVince! It's a bit fast but I can use the stop button. What version of SPHERE did you use? I am using SPHERE v1.5.
I think the answer to my question starts at about 14s. I should append an image to the small Spriteset Images window on the right and then select and Edit the North frame doing the vertical flipping THERE and NOT use EDIT RANGE. Then, I copy the flipped image.  I select the appended image in the Spriteset Images window and select the now empty South frame and paste the vertically flipped image to get a south pointing image in the (0) South direction frame. There was a little snag in that I often had to go back and flip or rotate the edited frame back to its original position but maybe I can do that after copying the edited image. Maybe I should select the South frame first and then select the appended image and then paste. It has something to do with the Spriteset image that is selected and the way many frames change at once when I edit one frame.
Anyway, I did this with Radnen's tank.rss spriteset as a demo since all the tank.rss frames have only a north/up pointing turret at the start and there is only one image in the Spriteset Images window on the right. Now I have a tank image for each of the cardinal directions.  I don't see how to get NE,NW,SE,SW without creating them from scratch.

Reply #9
The spriteset window is kinda like a clipboard, you create and store all of your inages here, imagine they are asigned an index.

So from left to right is 0, 1, 2, 3 etc

So in the spriteset sheet, you arrange these images into patterns which give the desired effect, eg, left leg out, standing, right leg out, standing etc

So for north you might have these images in this order eg:

North - 0, 1, 0, 2 (this would be image 0, then image 1, then image 0, then image 2, then loop

Just remember to arrange each directions graphics, sometimes you end up messing with a particular frame while editing, I know i do, and dont spot it until im wandering around a map

The only other thig i could recommend is to look at the spritesheets in other games, Kefkas revenge is very well done although slightly missalligned