Skip to main content

News

Topic: Hey guys, my project the vgdb (Read 13384 times) previous topic - next topic

• Rahkiin
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Hey guys, my project the vgdb
Reply #15

Let's just say this project helped me get that job. :P

Then I think it is time from a story by Radnen! :P
I love when hobby leads to work.

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #16
So did you ever get anywhere with the vgdb? I could use a good source of searchable vidja game data -- I wanna start a Youtube channel! Among things, I wanna do video game analyses. Since there's already so many of those, though, I'm focusing on what makes good games great, rather than bad games crappy.

It's a schlep assembling data from piecemeal, often highly-commercial sites all over the place, though. I'm currently trying to assemble a comprehensive list of 2015 console releases in the U.S. and having trouble.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #17
Well, my last post as it says, I used this in a portfolio in which turned out I got the job. So I hadn't really worked ion it since.

However, my brother and I have been thinking about returning to this project and working on it again. The database was not that large, because we were going to rely on the community to add games to it. But it would definitely try to have all the recent releases, with themed release events and branding for them. We were going to do a big Witcher 3 thing, if we were to get the website up and running by then. But that was before I got a job! :P

The VGDB was also going to be a bit unique since we were going to "gamify" it. You get points collecting consoles and games. You'll have your own virtual showroom and games, and there would have been a desktop app that could be used to play those games if you had them installed on your computer. So it was going to be a pretty big integrated deal.

If you want a decent list of games, might I suggest wikipedia? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #18
Congrats on the job! Didn't realize you were planning to go so far with VGDB. I thought it was basically Wikipedia-ized GameFAQs with a better interface.

The problem with the Wikipedia list is poor formatting. I'd still have to do a LOT of manual work. And I figured your VGDB would probably have an API from which I could automatically pull info.

If the plan was to allow so much as desktop app gaming integration, wouldn't you be worried about competing with Steam? Not that you shouldn't aim high, but that's stepping pretty hard on Steam's toes, and I'm not sure anyone can compete against them.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #19

Congrats on the job! Didn't realize you were planning to go so far with VGDB. I thought it was basically Wikipedia-ized GameFAQs with a better interface.

The problem with the Wikipedia list is poor formatting. I'd still have to do a LOT of manual work. And I figured your VGDB would probably have an API from which I could automatically pull info.

If the plan was to allow so much as desktop app gaming integration, wouldn't you be worried about competing with Steam? Not that you shouldn't aim high, but that's stepping pretty hard on Steam's toes, and I'm not sure anyone can compete against them.

You don't have to congratulate the job, it was 2 years ago. :P

I'm not worried about steam, because this would work alongside steam. It's just the VGDB portion. There will be a 'play game' button, and if you have it on Steam/CD/GOG/Origin it doesn't matter. It'll just use that version and play it.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here