Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 61335 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #255
Any Zork fans?
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

Reply #256
Could SetPersonSpeed() affect the way a spriteset is drawn on the screen?

In both images at the top of the image is the foot from the bottom. In the first image the line looks reversed with the bottom of the staff/spear all the way to the left. Actually, they both look reversed.

I checked the actual rss file and the images are correct. Might this be caused by the speed?
  • Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:13:06 am by Miscreant

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #257
@Rhuan I do that at the beginning of the game already. MapEngine("Start.rmp", 60);
This is akin to SetMapEngineFrameRate(); for everything else a separate frame limiter is used so calling SetFrameRate() at the start of your game (or whatever function does an internal loop with a FlipScreen) is still a good idea to limit the frames.

SetPersonSpeed() only changes the speed at which a person moves. If there's any rendering differences, that's a bug.

Reply #258
I was curious about the speed. The function to activate the armos statues sets their speed based on color of the initial statue. I thought maybe it was the SetPersonSpeed because this particular group of statues are kind of fast. I checked with the other colors and the image does not render improperly. Maybe, just to see what happens, I'll drop the speed down a notch...

Edit: I just tried it again and the improper rendering does occur with the other statues as well.
  • Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:23:18 am by Miscreant

Reply #259
Took care of some real world stuff... Now, I'm going to try removing just the last line of the armos rss and see if

1. It really makes the sprite look that bad.
2. Removing that line still causes rendering issues.

Out of all the rss files I use, that is the only one that has encountered an error thus far.

Reply #260
Update: Basic layout for level 5 is completed, now I have to design the individual rooms.

miniMap functional for levels 1 thru 5 & the 2 tombs.

Reply #261
The main Triforce levels so far:

Note: Item rooms & Passageways not shown
  • Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:20:04 pm by Miscreant

Reply #262
I've been reading about persist.js on the wiki

4. For each some_map.rmp, make a new script file scripts/maps/some_map.js

My understanding of that is, I would have to make some_map.js for every map I have already created. That would also mean that the individual map rmp file would effectively be codeless. Then I would be able to have different variables on a per map basis, like enemies or items or what not. In the process, reducing the number of global variables needing to be created. Is that correct? or am I misunderstanding how persist.js functions?

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #263
I've been reading about persist.js on the wiki

4. For each some_map.rmp, make a new script file scripts/maps/some_map.js

My understanding of that is, I would have to make some_map.js for every map I have already created. That would also mean that the individual map rmp file would effectively be codeless. Then I would be able to have different variables on a per map basis, like enemies or items or what not. In the process, reducing the number of global variables needing to be created. Is that correct? or am I misunderstanding how persist.js functions?

Nope, that's exactly how it works.  Note though that in browser-style scripts (what Sphere 1.x uses) any `vars` at the top of a script (outside of a function) become global by default.  The main advantage of persist.js is that all your map code is in actual .js files, allowing you to search for code more easily later.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #264
It seems very useful and in future projects, I'm going to included it into those. For ZeC, with so many maps already created, it would be very time consuming to try to re-edit everything to include persist.js. I may attempt to though, I'm not sure yet.

Reply #265
Attempting to design a function to make a pond drain when the player uses the whistle.

Reply #266
Player uses whistle...

Dungeon Level is now accessible. Note: Not Level 7.

Edit: I redid this slightly so there is a smoother transition between the pond draining and the stairs appearing.
  • Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:08:46 pm by Miscreant

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #267
That gives me PTSD flashbacks of going around the entire world in circles for hours at a time trying to find Level 7 as a kid.  It took me years to actually find it.  How was I supposed to guess I had to use the whistle for a purpose that wasn't even hinted at before?

I think I got stuck inside the dungeon for a few months too...
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #268
The whistle actually unlocks a few secrets in the game. Unlike the original LoZ, I have messages coded into my msg_db that will advise the player to where the various locations are.

Reply #269
I think I got stuck inside the dungeon for a few months too...

The grumble, grumble guy?