Skip to main content

News

Topic: Windows 10 (Read 5380 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 10
Anyone else here upgrading to Windows 10? What are your thoughts?
cmd.exe finally dropped the max width! And they fixed the issues with some old games (Like RPG Maker 2k/3 ones) having choppy full screen animation.
I'm still waiting for a tabbed Explorer, though.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Windows 10
Reply #1
Hey Eggbert! I'm loving Windows 10 right now. I liked the fact it gave me back 10 gigs of free space after installation (and removing 'previous windows installations') this was nice to see since I'm tight on space with my SSD.

I've not noticed faster boot times or a faster computer like some people say, but it's likely due to the fact they had a really cruddy prior installation that got fixed when they upgraded. Then again I do have an SSD which does make booting time fairly fast.

Though I will say the old "Windows Aero" was kind of a graphics hog. And windows 8+ seemed to have gotten flatter and therefore quicker to draw. This I suspect can help the performance of some computers.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #2
Ironically, everyone hated Aero when Vista came out (I personally loved it), but then when Windows 8 brought the flatter look, out came the hacks to get Aero back... :P

My niece and nephew have told me their games lag a lot less since upgrading to Windows 10, so whatever they did on the graphics side of things really improved the gaming situation.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #3
The best part?  The machines that got the upgrade were running pirate copies of Win8.1 Pro.  The free Win10 upgrade replaced it with a legimate permanent activation, so all my machines are legit now!  I don't even think they're trying anymore...
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #4
@Radnen
I noticed it's pretty faced too, though I wasn't paying attention to the disk usage.
And I noticed Windows 8.x was faster as well. Though I had to disable the FastBoot thing, because I share a lot of stuff on my main hard drive with Arch Linux, which is on a smaller drive. I have it in my fstab, and since FastBoot's hibernation mode locks the drive, Arch would Panic on boot. Even after I disabled it, I had to do some command line hackery to get it to actually work.

@Lord English
I didn't know people wanted Aero back. That seems kind of silly. Transparency is nice, but I like the flat, simple look.

The best part?  The machines that got the upgrade were running pirate copies of Win8.1 Pro.  The free Win10 upgrade replaced it with a legimate permanent activation, so all my machines are legit now!  I don't even think they're trying anymore...

Hah, nice.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #5
I am still annoyed that they haven't fixed the issue where the OS starts hammering the HDD for 10+ minutes at a time and slows down the whole system.  It used to be that when the system was running slow I'd check Task Manager for the process with the highest CPU percentage.  Ever since Win8 the first place I go is the Disk usage tab.  Usually it's some OS daemon or another monopolizing the disk... Windows Defender being a big offender, but other system services are just as guilty.  And because it's an OS process, you can't terminate it (Defender will stonewall the attempt, and killing system services = bad idea)
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #6
Yeah, that's pretty irritating. I noticed Steam seems to do it the most. And my HDD isn't even slow. Though it isn't a SSD.
>killing system services = bad idea
Please, I do that all the time! :P

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #7
Gonna upgrade really soon. I actually met my girlfriend in real life for the first time, she was over for three weeks, and I wanted to make sure my system kept working before upgrading. :)

• Rukiri
  • [*]
Reply #8
I upgraded day 1, no issues for me!

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #9
That's nothing, I upgraded on day.. um... well I don't remember, but it was a negative number. ;)
forum thread | on GitHub