Skip to main content

News

Topic: LibEQB (Library ActionScript3 style) (Read 5677 times) previous topic - next topic

LibEQB (Library ActionScript3 style)
Hi guys,

I have been working on this library on the sides for quite a while now. Well whenever I have time and interest that is  ;D

Anyway, this library enables you to manage your resources similar to how you code in Flash Action Script 3. Of course this is a lot simpler and a lot less secure (due to limitations of Javascript). However I have made it somehow as similar as I can to the original one. Basically if you are familiar with Flash AS3, then it will be very easy for you to use this library.

Major features:
  - Accurate mouse interaction (ability to click irregular images/shapes)
  - Comprehensive Input system: Physical and Emulated Keyboard/Mouse (click, drag, wheel) Input
  - Animation (with tween): Position/Rotation/scaling on different types: images, text, primitive objects (lines and other shapes) with variable registration point
  - Collision checking for primitives and image frames (similar to flash - hitTest)
  - Advanced text processing: HTML (with tags like <b>, <font>, <a>, etc.), text wrapping, text input, hyperlinks (to run a script)
  - Nested object hierarchy (similar to flash) - enables creation of complex display types (see UIEQB)
  - Event dispatching system
  - Basic tools: Timers, Sound
  - Support for animation handling
  - Data management: pre loading or lazy loading
  - Console included for debugging
  - Experimental support for ParticleSystem
  - UI Element implementation of the library (Button, Checkboxes, RadioButton, ScrollBar, Slider, ProgressBar, Window) and more to come (NumericStepper, ComboBox)
  - Ability to run with MapEngine
  - A lot more, I'll provide a list once I finish the documentation

Sorry for not having much documentation done. But let me know that you think.

Download LibEQB/UIEQB demo (partial demo of features only):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23545667/demo.zip

Thanks to Radnen's Sphere Studio for enabling import of fonts!  :)
  • Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:26:37 pm by erix

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: LibEQB (Library ActionScript3 style)
Reply #1
Woah... I just checked out the demo and the code. It's amazing! I was thinking the library would be very slow, but somehow it manages above 100 fps without much dipping. I'm sure object scale might be an issue, though (have you tested it with 100's of objects on screen?).

This is simply a very amazing library. :o I'm just stunned by it, you've got dynamic objects with real-time hit test, the ability to change their colors and animate in a very flashy way (all on-the-fly). This is really neat.

I think you are getting good framerate by baking things on to surfaces. I was toying with a scene-node like structure (RadLib) and drawing text and stuff onto surfaces and then converting it to an image made it faster by a large margin. But you've added so much more to it than I ever did. Man, this must have taken you years?

I have just one thing to say: Why decide to join the community now!? Crazy!
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #2
Yeah, when I started I was just playing around and now looking back, it turned out to be a huge project for me. I was planning on making my own RPG but ended up making a library  ;)

If you look the the changelogs, I code in burst  ;D whenever I have time, new idea or inspiration. I had some major revisions to this library (most of the older versions, I thought, were not worth sharing yet..) but now I felt I had to share. I hope it's not too late  :-\

Reply #3
For trying 100 objects, I have actually tried that and found that performance is acceptable (~80-90fps with 300 objects, basic only, scaled and rotated) only in sphere_gl, it struggles on standard though.

And on standard I see some scaling issues (particularly for my Window class implementation - middle of the title bar and corner of borders are drawn improperly which I don't see in sphere_gl). In sphere_gl, the downside is slow loading of fonts  :-\
  • Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:07:50 pm by erix

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #4
This seems interesting, but the download is long gone - does anyone happen to have this library saved somewhere?