Skip to main content

News

Recent Posts

Off-Topic Discussions / Re: Thoughts on the Nintendo Switch?
Last post by Fat Cerberus -
I don't think that's entirely fair, their first- and second-party games are still just as fun as they always were.  You act as if they've become totally lazy as company when that's not what I've seen at all: They still consistently put out quality titles, it's just that they take flak from gamers for having subpar hardware (which they do, not going to lie).  It's different than so many AAA studios that keep re-releasing the same game over and over again (see: Call of Duty or pretty much any FPS nowadays), sure Nintendo has their core Mario, Zelda, etc. but each one always brings something new to the table despite the common IP and all are quality titles.

Point taken on the NES re-releases though, those are just lazy.
Last post by Miscreant -
I honestly think Switch cartridges are TOO small.  They're even smaller than (3)DS carts, which is weird as the console is double the size.

Make them smaller so their easier to lose and you have to spend money on another copy...if it is a game you enjoy playing.

Although, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo since the days of the Gamecube. They became just another big company that wants to up their prices on consoles and games. Not to mention, that they also went through a period of just rereleasing their original NES games on other Nintendo platforms to make money and Sega bringing Sonic to Nintendo... not right. In my mind, its akin to Lucas rereleasing countless versions of the original Star Wars series. Didn't need to be done. Just like they didn't need to re-edit Return of the Jedi to replace the original Anakin with the one from the prequels.
Last post by Fat Cerberus -
I honestly think Switch cartridges are TOO small.  They're even smaller than (3)DS carts, which is weird as the console is double the size.
Last post by Miscreant -
I realize this is an older topic, however...

Also, the console uses game cards which plug into the screen portion of the system, not CDs. Which, just let me say here, I'm quite happy about. Optical media is dead. It's been dead for a decade, it's about time major companies start abandoning it.

The Turbografx-16 was truly a game card system that had the ability to be used on both their console and handheld TurboExpress system. The Switch's games are still a cartridge based system. While the game is slightly smaller than that of the Gameboy or Gameboy Advance system game I wouldn't really define it as a "card."
Projects / Re: Project Zelda [MiniSphere 5 Beta]
Last post by Rukiri -
Ooh, another Zelda project, huh? Can I ask, what generation of Zelda are you basing this on? Or is it a little more generic and combining the general 2D top-down Zelda style in general?

Link to the past.
Last post by DaVince -
Ooh, another Zelda project, huh? Can I ask, what generation of Zelda are you basing this on? Or is it a little more generic and combining the general 2D top-down Zelda style in general?
Last post by Rukiri -
So, using miniSphere, v2 api? Any chance I can persuade you to use some of my new scripts? (MapEngine, Sprite Engine and HUDSystem)

I know they're not 100% ready but they're pretty close and having someone else use them would help them get polished.
Sure :)
Projects / Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Last post by Miscreant -
Modified CollectTriforce() into a CollectItem() for use in the dungeon level item rooms. Also, adapted the collection image from the spriteset to holding the item up with one hand because I really didn't like the pose from the Original LoZ.
Last post by Miscreant -
The tile movement was very problematic with ZeC. I did like the way that it was functioning though on a tile basis, so rather than abolish the code, I have it stored in a seperate script to implement into future projects.
Last post by Rhuan -
It was based off of tile movement. A good portion of my x,y put you on the other side of a door at mid tile points. Especially in the dungeon levels where the north & south doors take up 2 tiles & the entry point is between those 2 tiles.
You could do 4 directions without doing tile movement - tile movement in an action rpg would be problematic anyway.