Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 61553 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #375
Not surprising, the Zelda II overworld graphics were obviously drawn to be very abstract, like looking at a paper map (I mentioned that in your other topic), whereas LoZ is top-down throughout so the tiles are more concrete representations of the objects they depict.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #376
(I mentioned that in your other topic)

Figured I'd bring that topic over to this one seeing as how it was originally about player movement systems and we were kind of getting off that topic a bit.

Also,

Note: Many different sites state that the bottom of the map where the hammer is located in Zelda 2 is the area from Zelda, denoted by the cemetary, woods & spectacle rock. If it is indeed the area from the original Zelda, then the map for ZeC II will reflect that and have a somewhat matching landscape from P:ZeC.

So I was kind of curious to see what it would be like if I wanted to try to include the overworld map from ZeC.

Unless I do a very scaled down version like how Zelda 2 just had the cemetary, lake, lost woods and spectacle rock... I may not include it in the follow up game. However, it is still way too early to do any decision making on a sequel seeing as how I still need to finish production of the first game.
  • Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:21:31 am by Miscreant
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

Reply #377
Both halves of the Triforce Island level individual rooms are designed.

Next level to create... Death Mountain.

So far, it is the largest level in the game. While Protoleveling, it has 4 seperate sections linked through passageways.

After that, I need to finish a few core functions and then begin coding a battle system for it.

I also need to create a few more minor enemy spritesets and begin to consider what enemies will be guarding the Triforce pieces.

Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me that there is a large portion of the underworld map that I designed but have not coded yet. Gorram! That sets back the plans for a beta release of the game for a little bit.
  • Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:34:39 am by Miscreant

Reply #378
Getting really gorram frustrated with this computer mouse...

Edit:

Begin Rant:
For any fans of Family Guy: "You know what grinds my gears..."

I have been unable to do anything with ZeC for hours because of this mouse. Brand new batteries, swap usb ports, clean the lens... nothing. Now almost 2 hours later since this was first posted, it is barely functioning. The pointer on the screen goes between sporatic movement to unresponsive... for the not so cheap cost of peripheral devices these days a non functioning mouse after 2 days is utterly unacceptable. It's enough to write the company about their inferior product.

End Rant

Sorry,  just needed to get that off my chest.
  • Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:31:19 am by Miscreant

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #379
Hey, at least they no longer cost $415 like the original Xerox mouse. :) But yeah, you better return that crap.

Reply #380
There are still mice that can cost that much. When looking for an inexpesive replacement mouse I found some in the price range of well over 200 dollars. I was like "WTF, it's a mouse... you point and click." Tons of unneeded buttons, some that had trackballs built in (it's an optical mouse, the trackball isn't needed), I even saw one that you can "transform" the mouse cover on. Seriously, is it really that difficult to find a simplistic 2 button wheel mouse nowadays that won't cost 50 dollars and up...

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #381
It's generally pretty easy to find $10-$15 mice in my experience.  Also a trackball is something different than a mouse and I actually find they give you more control.  I have one hooked up to my laptop, it's nice.

Even the cheapest mouse shouldn't crap out after 2 days though.  Definitely try to get your money back on that one.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #382
Also a trackball is something different than a mouse and I actually find they give you more control.

Only once you adjust to it. And depending on your hand dexterity, that can be easy or complicated.

Reply #383
Also a trackball is something different than a mouse

I know. Had a logitech trackball attached to a 386pc back in the early 90's. What I'm saying is that I saw a mouse that had the option of being used as a mouse or a trackball.

Reply #384
Somehow, the mouse decided to function today. Death Mountain is in the process of being designed. Creating the individual map rooms javascript files. 33 of 60 rooms defined thus far. Largest level in the game. Second largest is the Triforce Island multi-levels with a combined total of 54 rooms. After Death Mountain is created I have to finish coding the underworld.

Reply #385
In the process of creating Death Mountain, I came to realize that the levels are not complete. I have created Levels 1 through 7, the dual Triforce Island level and Death Mountain. However, it seems that I skipped Level 8. Now, to design another level for a Triforce Piece... I still need to design a specialty level for a particular item that the player needs to reforge the Master Sword. I'm going back over my developement notes to see what else I may have left out.

Reply #386
Designed the 'specialty' level. Shortest level in the game but one of the most difficult because of the item it holds. Need to design a new spriteset for one of the NPCs in that level. Still trying to come up with a Protolevel for Level 8. Started to code the missing maps of the underworld. Also need to readjust some of the obstructions on a few of the underworld tiles as I discovered that in certain spots the player can walk on water.

Reply #387
Basic design for level 8 is created.

Reply #388
I've been trying include other classic gaming references into ZeC. The Triforce Island level was inspired by the Chalice from Adventure for the Atari 2600. Level 8 has been inspired by one of the 'aliens' from Space Invaders also for the Atari 2600. Other classic references are yet to be determind but I would like to try to include others. Either in this project or future projects that I've started to plan out on paper.

Missing Level maps will be posted a little later on...
  • Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:56:59 pm by Miscreant

Reply #389
I agree, though I was never a huge fan of Zelda 2.