Skip to main content

News

Topic: Oozaru: Sphere for the Web (Read 1121 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • miniSphere Developer
Oozaru: Sphere for the Web
Just posting this as a placeholder for the new HTML5/JS based Sphere v2 implementation in development.  Now that Sphere v2 is getting closer to finalization, it's time to start thinking about how to implement it for the Web.

GitHub link: https://github.com/fatcerberus/oozaru
  • Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:52:30 pm by Fat Cerberus
miniSphere 5.0b4 (stable: 4.8.8) - Cell compiler - SSj debugger - thread | on GitHub
For the sake of our continued health I very much hope that Fat Cerberus does not become skilled enough at whatever arcane art it would require to cause computers to spawn enourmous man eating pigs ~Rhuan

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • miniSphere Developer
Re: Oozaru: Sphere for the Web
Reply #1
If anyone's curious about the name, it's another Dragon Ball Z reference:
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Ape

These are basically obligatory for minisphere-related projects now.  If Debian can have Toy Story characters then I can have DBZ ones dammit ;)
miniSphere 5.0b4 (stable: 4.8.8) - Cell compiler - SSj debugger - thread | on GitHub
For the sake of our continued health I very much hope that Fat Cerberus does not become skilled enough at whatever arcane art it would require to cause computers to spawn enourmous man eating pigs ~Rhuan

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #2
Besides a platform-neutral editor, this is one of the things I have been looking forward to most when it comes to Sphere. You're doing awesome work. :)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • miniSphere Developer
Reply #3
Yeah, implementing the Dispatch API was the tipping point.  With that implemented, the goal of Sphere-in-the-browser was suddenly in sight and I jumped on the opportunity.  I know I may have scoffed at the idea of a WebSphere in the past, but mostly that was just me being a grinch and not wanting to learn Web development.  I'm much more comfortable with JavaScript now (and I've been keeping up with the latest features even if Duktape doesn't support them :)), so... well, why the hell not? :D

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • miniSphere Developer
Reply #4
I haven't worked on this in a while; module support complicates things, as browser JS doesn't support them at all.  It's even more of an issue now that ES2015 modules (import/export) are first-class citizens in Sphere v2.  What I'll probably have to do is add a special mode to Cell that combines all the scripts into a single file, like what Browserify does for Node.js modules.  One more reason for Sphere developers to write a Cellscript, I suppose. ;)

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #5
I see how that can complicate things! I've recently gotten a little more excited about Sphere again, even though I barely have time to work on anything like a game. Would definitely like to contribute on the simpler elements once you got that figured out though!

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • miniSphere Developer
Reply #6
Good news: Browsers are finally starting to get support for ES6 modules:
https://jakearchibald.com/2017/es-modules-in-browsers/

That will remove a big barrier for Sphere v2 in the browser, since .mjs is now the preferred way to write v2 code.  Otherwise you end up needing Babel/TypeScript + a require() shim. :-\