Skip to main content

News

Topic: Radnen's Hub (Read 8749 times) previous topic - next topic

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Radnen's Hub
Hey guys, I've made myself a home for my Sphere games - finally! It's at my space on tengudev, you can visit it here: http://radnen.tengudev.com

So, for now on I'll be updating that website whenever I make or do something new. You'll find all of the downloads and other latest pieces of news of my projects there.

Have fun browsing!
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Re: Radnen's Hub
Reply #1
Quick thing - you did it way better for the side nav, but the screenshots panel (especially the hover state) has the border-radius issue that plagues most people. The outer radius should be the inner radius plus whatever distance from the closest edge (in this case, inner radius of 8px + the padding 8px, maybe add one more to fix the optical illusion that sometimes occurs). You might want to tweak the side nav outer radius a bit also, maybe all the way up to 20px instead of the 15px it currently has.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #2
Alright, I made some quick edits, I think I did what you asked. I'm not so sure what you've meant by border-radius issue, but I changed the padding and borders of the screenshots panel to reflect the sidebar a bit more.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
You're 22?! You're so good at this stuff, I always assumed you were in your thirties or maybe even fourties, and were a lifelong professional programmer who messed around with Sphere in his spare time.

Jebus, if you're 22 now, that means you were 19/20 when I first got into Sphere a few years ago. Man I feel old. And untalented.

Did this used to be called RadSphere? Also, I can't remember -- what's the difference between your Sphere editor and the normal one?

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #4

You're 22?! You're so good at this stuff, I always assumed you were in your thirties or maybe even fourties, and were a lifelong professional programmer who messed around with Sphere in his spare time.

Jebus, if you're 22 now, that means you were 19/20 when I first got into Sphere a few years ago. Man I feel old. And untalented.

Did this used to be called RadSphere? Also, I can't remember -- what's the difference between your Sphere editor and the normal one?

I started in '05 I saw some files dated December of '05 that I used in my one of my very first Sphere projects. That means this December I would have used Sphere for 8 years, which means I started using Sphere when I was 15. Well, I think I was 13/14 when I first saw it but couldn't figure it out for the life of me and so used RPGMaker2K/3 and The Game Studio for a couple years before finally teaching myself how to Sphere.

The Sphere Editor was never called RadSphere, sadly :P. It's current name is the "Sphere Studio" which is a bit more generalized and quite fitting. It is a rework of the old editor that runs in native .Net 2.0 C# code so it uses many features of more modern systems and has many, many changes. Too much to count really. It's far, far different and I like to think in some cases far, far better. Once I make the move to Mono it'll also be subsequently multi-platform. Currently it's only for Windows OS's.

Sphere-sfml here

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5
If there's too much different to list, can you tell me this -- will a complete and total novice like myself notice a difference if I'm just making some simple game just to learn by doing?

Wait, Sphere games use the Sphere API and general JavaScript. How could your editor possibly add features, aside from expanding the API? (Forgive me if this question is super ignorant, like I say, I'm just a dabbler, not a true programmer.)

Reply #6

Wait, Sphere games use the Sphere API and general JavaScript. How could your editor possibly add features, aside from expanding the API? (Forgive me if this question is super ignorant, like I say, I'm just a dabbler, not a true programmer.)

It adds features to the editor, not to the engine. Your scripts won't run any differently with Radnen's editor than with the regular one (they can't actually, the editor doesn't even run them). It adds features in areas such as map editing: Radnen's editor supports undo/redo on maps, which the old one did not.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #7
Oh, that reminds me - I never got around to actually checking it out! (Sorry Radnen!)

It's a pretty neat site. It's got all the necessary info, though I'm sure most people would skip right over your "Welcome" intro text - it's better to highlight what you do in just a few words (which preferably link to the related content). Also, I think it's a good idea to order the menu items on the left in terms of how important or big or recent they are - Sphere editor could go up a lot higher, considering the effort you put into that!

I'm also not too fond of the style of the header title, but that's mostly just personal preference speaking. :)